Sunday, September 16, 2007

Incline to Your ear to me Jesus

Psalm 25:16 "Turn to me and be gracious to me for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins."

I love how open and vulnerable the Psalmist is when he writes this. The Psalmist, in context of the whole chapter of Psalm 25 is writing from the standpoint of Israel crying out to the Lord for mercy. Throughout the entire Bible, I can see how the Lord's process of redemption is the same (He is the same yesterday, today, and forever). Israel is a physical picture of the state of our own evil hearts. We are called by the Lord, our hearts respond and "sign up" to be only His, then we wander and get bored in the midst of the journey and fall into sin. However, at this most vulnerable point in the Psalm, the heart of Israel and humanity is revealed...the truth of what is "beneath" it all... "I am lonely and afflicted". No person, no thing, no running away or cover can hide this hunger in our hearts. And we should not ever try to hide it. Rather we should use this cry as fuel to bring us closer to God through our own HUNGER and craving for Him. It says that the Lord is the DESIRE of all nations! He is the desire of our souls! He is what we truly long for, and without Him we are lonely and afflicted. Let us run into to Him, and let Him be the God of our Salvation rather than trying to be our own gods of our own salvations. Let us come up from the wilderness leaning upon Him in love with ALL our heart, soul, mind and strength.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hiya - just discovered your blog - love the line "He is what we truly long for, and without Him we are lonely and afflicted" that is so true - that resonates within me. are you still a nightwatcher at ihop? blessings, claire (ps i have a new blog from the one this blogger/google thing says... http://fireball.lifewithchrist.org is where i am now in case u wanted to see who was commenting lol!)